Monday, October 31

Day 3!

Feels like it's been months since the 3-Day, but it was just a week ago! Recap of the 3rd and final day, last Sunday:

Up bright and early and lined up to start the day's route -


I think this day's route was my fav, walked from GWCC through Ga Tech, from there Midtown and Piedmont Park, Virginia Highlands, Druid Hills, Emory, Inman Park, through downtown and ended at Turner Field.

So chilly in the morning shade. Love Piedmont Park on a Sunday :)


But it warmed up soon enough. Sheena and I at the candy land pit stop!


The candy was especially out of control that day, supporters would line up with bowls of really good candy, and when a sweet little kid personally tried to hand you a piece you couldn't say no! I was forced to reserve a whole zipper pouch in my waist pack just for candy. I think my fav was early in the day a group was giving out coffee and each kid had a job, one offered sugar, one cream, one stirred - So sweet!


I think all firetrucks should be pink, much prettier. Reminds me of the girly lego's I used to play with.


Presh!


This was around Emory, we had just walked through a whole cheer leading squad out cheering for all the walkers. Earlier in the day there was a squad that cheered, "Jump shake your boobies, jump jump shake your boobies!" There was never a shortage of entertainment!


Made it up a steep hill to lunch/a luau!


Most of the police officers were really into the festivities, they wore pink flare and ribbons and had music blaring from their cars or motorcycles. This one was especially full of energy, the previous day he led us in the YMCA while waiting to let us cross.


So weird to be downtown, I never go there.


Trotters spotting on the steps of the capital!



Homestretch!


They would tell you anything to keep you walking.


First glimpse of Turner Field!


Oh we know, thanks!


Louisa's boyfriend, Chad, waiting for her at the end :)


She said when she first saw the sign she thought, weird someone else is named "Weeza" haha


Yeah! Walking into what they called the "holding area," you know because we're cattle.



We sat down and waited to walk into the closing ceremonies that were held in the parking lot.


Cheers for all the finishers!


Go Trotters!



About to be let out


We got long sleeved white tee's. Survivors got light pink and crew members got grey.


All the walkers linked arms and walked out of Turner Field through a tunnel made up of family, friends and crew. The survivors then followed after us and we all raised a walking shoe in honor of them.


They announced that 6.5 million was raised!



A great end to the 3 days. I miss the trotters!


Allison and Mark came out to support us! The trotters just love them :)



After the ceremonies I found my parents who came out too (more pics on their camera!) and they drove me to my car at Stone Mountain (that was fun), and then despite having already eaten a ton that day I gorged at Fellini's - Blue Moon beer on tap, big salad and mushroom and pepperoni pizza - YUM. Then crashed after that, so thankful to be back in my bed! Oh and to shower in an actual building.

So will I do the 3-Day next year? Yes!!! It was such an awesome experience, so positive and inspirational. And Allison is going to do it who was an original trotter before she had to go get engaged and married a few weeks before the walk ;) I'm working on a couple Kentucky friends, too. (Sarah and Brittany you know you want to!) And Alison, the veteran 3 Day'er says fundraising gets easier with every year. Since this year was our first time for all four of us trotters we were really stressing and nervous about it, but I think next year the yard sales are the way to go and Sheena is all about having a Booby-Cue (a BBQ).

Once again thanks so much to all my family, friends, neighbors and coworkers that live near and far who supported me! Whether it was a donation, encouraging words and messages, asking how everything was going, attending fundraisers or tuning into our morning news segment ;) - My team and I appreciate it so much! I ended up surpassing my goal of $2,300 and raised a total of $2,406.25. Thank you! :)

Walkers were given a rose donated by 1-800-FLOWERS at the end, too.


I've just about recovered, but my feet are in not so great shape. I'm sure the Target pumps I wore out this past weekend really helped their appearance. They're not really sore anymore but am in need of a pedi ASAP. I had blisters on my two smallest toes that were bigger than the actual toes, ick. Reminds me of this one sign we saw on the walk that kind of scared me, said "Blisters don't need chemo!" I know it was meant to be encouraging and put perspective on why we were walking but geez, no one said they did, haha.

Did I mentioned how much I miss the trotters?!

3 comments:

sarah said...

I love it! I'm so proud of you! And yeah I'd love to do it next year :)

Anonymous said...

Great event and so proud of you!

richard said...

what an accomplishment! and women everywhere are better off because of what you and others have done.
you look like you had fun doing it while at the same time serving others. there are not adjectives superlative enough to describe how proud i am of you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails