I'm not sure how I feel about you anymore.
What do you use Facebook for? Catching up with old friends, looking at pictures, letting people know what you're doing at any given minute of the day or maybe to play a month long game of Scrabble? Whatever it is, I don't think I'm making a bold statement by saying that it's not going anywhere anytime soon. With a Shia Labeouf movie about creator Mark Zuckerman in the works and people of all ages now on it, I think the better question is, what's FB doing to us?My personal assessment:
-Let's be honest, the people I really want to keep in touch with, I have your number, screen name or email don't I?
-Yes, I like looking at pictures, in moderation. A whole album dedicated to a night out? A little much. I usually click on someone's album and can't muster the motivation to click on individual pictures.
-Whenever I do a status update or post some pictures, I try to convey the best version of me possible, or it's something completely ridiculous that no one needs to know. (usually about what I've eaten)
-Birthday wishes from people that otherwise would have no clue when my birthday is, and that's the only time I hear from them all year. (I'm guilty of this, too)
-It's 4:24 PM on Wednesday right now ... (HINT: I'm not at home and there are probably some other things I should be doing, which means time to get on FB!)
-One day I was absent mindedly reading people's status updates on my phone. I looked up at my friend and said, "It's just white noise." I'd probably be better off watching infomercials, at least it's not stalkerish and constant info overload.
-The fine line between personal and private. What would I possibly want both my best friend and my former boss to know about me?
The Silver Lining:
-I guess it is nice to get the occasional note on my wall.
-And pictures can be fun, esp of far away friends.
-A funny status update has the ability to lift my mood.
-My officemate has left for the day and she left a post-it on my desk with the name of one of her single guy friends and "facebook him?" written on it. So maybe FB can be a catalyst to someone I would never have met otherwise?
-US Weekly, Gossip Girl, Bergdorf Blondes, Blogging ... Who am I kidding? I'm not exactly the spokesperson on quality entertainment.
Moral of the story: Moderation, which I obviously suck at.
2 comments:
You know you loved when I posted that "Tardy for the Party" link on your wall.
p.s. Facebook is great for stalking.
great perspective, ashley, and very well said.
Post a Comment