Saturday, February 16

Mega Updates!

Once again sorry for the blogging absence but I have some very good excuses this time, lots has happened!

First announcement - 

Tim and Shana moved to Atl!


They have been here just a week and are living in the Inman Park neighborhood -


 So happy they are here!

Their house warming gift I got from the Junior League's Nearly New shop, a big mason jar, a Waffle House mug and a sign that pays homage to Shana's love of cats :)


 2nd announcement -

Meet George! As of yesterday I am officially a dog mom!


 The story:

So as I'm sure all of you know I love dogs and have wanted my own little dog for years now, but just hasn't felt like the right time until now. I started looking more seriously over the past few weeks and was telling some of my friends and coworkers to let me know if they had any good leads. I wanted to adopt just a little mixed dog, some kind of poodle, terrier or bichon mix, and preferably a rescue. Sheena started sending me ads on Craig's List (where they found sweet Austey) and I went by the Humane Society one day after work. I wanted a one or two year-old dog that would do ok in my condo left alone while I'm at work. but wasn't seeing the right dog.

Well last Saturday I had Junior League Commitments all day, Allison and I were volunteering in the Nearly New shop that afternoon. I logged onto Facebook because I was going to check us in in case anyone was in the area and wanted to stop by and say hi, haha. My friend Parker had just sent me a message that said, Look!!! And it was an ad on Pet Finder for a one year-old boy king charles cavalier that they named Daniel at Fulton County Animal Services. My heart immediately started racing and I ran to the back to call the shelter. They said there was already one person on the wait list and when I asked if they could add me to the list they said I had to come in to do it (despite my pleading haha, I know imagine that) I ran up to Allison and showed her the ad, she agreed he was absolutely precious. So I called the shelter AGAIN to see when I could come by to meet him and get my name on the wait list, he told me they closed at 4, right when I was supposed to get off from working at the store. I frantically ran up to Allison yet again telling her all this and the store manager happened to be standing right there and overheard me (I'm sure the whole store did, haha) and she said, "So why are you still here? Bye. Go on. Bye Bye! Don't anyone ever say I don't do anything for anyone." lol So I raced to the shelter which was just a mile and a half from the shop. I met him and of course fell in love -


He was found running loose in southeast Atl with no tag or chip the night before, a lady called him in saying that 2 dogs were in her yard. When animal services got there it was just him. The shelter had to hold him for 7 days to give his former owner a chance to claim him, then they pick someone off the wait list to adopt him. They only took 3 applicants and I was the third one to get on there. I asked the head adoptions counselor what I could do to help my chances of getting picked and she said that calling and checking on him and visiting him helps a lot, that they mark it in my application and shows them how much I want and care about him. 

The shelter is super close to my office so I visited him everyday on my lunch break this past week!

On Monday, had to stay inside because it was raining out, he was barking at a little dog in the cage next to him -


 Tuesday, brought my coworker Emily with me to meet him, of course she loved him :)


On Wednesday my boss Donna came with me, as you can see I'm getting more excited by the day, haha. They said if the owner doesn't show up within 3 days that usually means no one is coming to claim him.



Aaannnnd I may have brought the adoption ladies these red velvet cupcakes I had made the night before for small group -


 "Oh Ashley you didn't have to do that," the head adoption lady said. Yes she knew my name by this point. Thankfully it went over well and they ate them. Can't go wrong with red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting! (Made with my Baby Cakes cupcake maker Tim and Shana gave me for Christmas :-)

Thursday, last day to visit. It was the first day it was sunny all week so I just sat outside with him while all the workers walked by me laughing and rolling their eyes (It's mostly pitbulls in there, rarely do they see someone come in and visit a dog daily with cupcakes lol, I also brought him treats!)



And it was Valentine's Day so I had to bring in something for the adoption ladies again :)


 (Yes that's a Valentine's Day with card with a pic of me and him)


So all I could do was wait! Needless to say I was very antsy to know, I wanted to have everything ready for his homecoming. They said they would be calling the person they picked early Friday afternoon. Well I went to Tim and Shana's apartment at lunchtime on Friday to see their apartment and get a few of Annie's old things they had gotten while they stayed in Roswell earlier this week, her crate, bed and bowls, just in case...While there I got the call! eeeeee!!! I could pick him up anytime that day! What an answered prayer :) He was originally supposed to get neutered that morning but the vet said he was too thin for it, so I will be bringing him back in for the surgery in a month after he's gotten happier and healthier :)

After I'd signed all the papers and he was officially George Bentley! I named him George because I think it's the perfect name for a little boy cavalier :)


Since he didn't have his surgery I took him to get bathed and groomed (thankfully they worked him in, how could anyone deny him?), all clean and on the way home yesterday evening -


He loves car rides, was bouncing all over the place!


As you can see he is very skinny and needs to gain some weight. He's been home since last night and is adjusting perfectly :)


He just met my neighbor Keisha, Auntie Chrissy and Louisa are coming over in a bit and tomorrow night we'll be heading up to Roswell for dinner with my family and relatives who are coming in town. (They already had a visit planned, they aren't driving 3 and a half hours from Prattville, Ala. just to meet George haha, not that he's not worth it ;-) He is just such an angel, it truly is a mystery where he came from because he is very well behaved, sweet and friendly. I just feel like he was meant for me to adopt him :)

Much better days ahead for George :)

5 comments:

Kb_Mal said...

So excited for you and for George. He is precious and awesome!

Anonymous said...

I love George--he is adorable!
So glad Tim & Shana are here too!

sarah said...

haha I love that you gave them a Valentine with a pic of you and George in it :) Can't wait to meet him!!!!!!! He sounds super adorable

Unknown said...

Yay, Ashley! I was rooting for you. George is a perfect name and he is so, so cute! I'm assuming he will be joining on all our girls weekends coming up? I also love the way you stalked the adoption ladies, you'd better go back and visit them soon--they will be totally lonely without you. Let's pick a weekend this spring to get together!

DTPfromATL said...

Ashley, he is so sweet! Love that you charmed the shelter :) Hope you are both doing well and settling in! xo, Devon

Related Posts with Thumbnails