Have been anticipating and training for months, and it finally arrived today -

I felt as prepared as I was gonna feel. I hit up Gap with a 30% off coupon on Friday and bought these mesh capris. They're made of material that pulls moisture from skin to keep you dry and like Lululemon they're designed to be really flattering. I may have picked up, oh a few others things with a this weekend only coupon burning in my pocket, but that will be a later post. Try to contain your anticipation ;-)

The day before the race all the runners had to report to the Georgia Dome for a fitness expo to pick up their race packet. It was pretty cool, tons of health and fitness exhibitors set up. I consumed about 2 dozen samples of stuff like Lara bars and even a mini MoonPie from some space camp. The only thing I bought was this headband from Sweaty Bands. They had so many cute ones but I went basic so I wouldn't be known at the gym as the girl with the neon green polka dot headband.

And essential for every good run is a fun new play list! I bought these pump me up songs from iTunes the day before:
Bottoms Up - Trey Songz and Nick Minaj
Raining Men - Rihanna and Nick Minaj
Bionic - Christina Aguilera
Woohoo - Christina Aguilera
Crazy Beautiful Life - Ke$ha
Grow a Pear - Ke$ha
Sleazy - Ke$ha
On the Floor - Jennifer Lopez and Pitbull
Turnin Me On - Keri Hilson and Lil Wayne
Look At Me Now - Chris Brown and Lil Wayne
Till the World Ends - Britney Spears
Just Can't Get Enough - The Black Eyed Peas
XOXOXO - The Black Eyed Peas
Do It Like This - The Black Eyed Peas
Let Me See the Booty - The Dream and Lil John
E.T. - Katy Perry and Kanye West
Saturday night I had a pre-race dinner at my friend Louisa's brother's house with other half marathon runners. We had salad, spicy sausage and pasta, garlic bread, fruit and cookies, def hit the spot. In bed by 10.
I spent the night at Louisa's where we had to get up at 5 AM and her bro picked us up at 5:45. Here we are raring to go -
Bottoms Up - Trey Songz and Nick Minaj
Raining Men - Rihanna and Nick Minaj
Bionic - Christina Aguilera
Woohoo - Christina Aguilera
Crazy Beautiful Life - Ke$ha
Grow a Pear - Ke$ha
Sleazy - Ke$ha
On the Floor - Jennifer Lopez and Pitbull
Turnin Me On - Keri Hilson and Lil Wayne
Look At Me Now - Chris Brown and Lil Wayne
Till the World Ends - Britney Spears
Just Can't Get Enough - The Black Eyed Peas
XOXOXO - The Black Eyed Peas
Do It Like This - The Black Eyed Peas
Let Me See the Booty - The Dream and Lil John
E.T. - Katy Perry and Kanye West
Saturday night I had a pre-race dinner at my friend Louisa's brother's house with other half marathon runners. We had salad, spicy sausage and pasta, garlic bread, fruit and cookies, def hit the spot. In bed by 10.
I spent the night at Louisa's where we had to get up at 5 AM and her bro picked us up at 5:45. Here we are raring to go -
(Pretty! I chugged an entire cup of coffee)
Louisa was pumped despite only having 1 sip from her cup of coffee. I kept telling her to conserve her energy because the race didn't start for like 2 hours. I know I'm such a good friend. Granted I was the one snapping pics before dawn.
Breakfast of champions that was set out the night before
Then made our way downtown to start the race at Centennial Olympic Park. Couldn't have asked for a better course, so fun (as much as you can have while running) to see so much of Atlanta and run through the middle of major streets.
Overall I felt really good throughout the whole run. I wasn't that concerned about my time just wanted to run the whole time and I did. The hills weren't fun but I never had any moments where I thought I wasn't going to be able to make it. I had to pee at the start of the race and decided to hold it for awhile because the lines were so long everywhere, but every porta potty I passed had a ridic line, too. When running through Little 5 I dashed in Starbucks disregarding the customers only sign on the door and got right in and out :-) Other runners soon followed my lead much to the employees dismay I'm sure. Hehe.I must have been really entertaining to watch drink water. I tried to drink from the paper cups while running and literally poured half the cup on my face every time. And I choked a couple times. And my spf 60 facial moisturizer burned my eyes.
Random comments about the other runners: 1. Saw a lady runner BAREFOOT. For realz. And no she wasn't wearing those toe shoes. I did a quadruple take. 2. A lady with 1 leg passed me. But she was hardcore. I tried not to pay attention to passing or being passed by other people. 3. It was really entertaining to see people trying to pump themselves up before the race and motivate themselves during. Lots of intense talking to selves. 4. Um I did not like the congested places of the course AT ALL. I hate running close to people, and I really hate when big men twice my size act like they're the only ones running.
My time at the finish line was 2 hours, 25 minutes and 27 seconds. My dad said an 11.07/mile pace. There were a total of 10,900 runners and I placed at 7,628. 6,152 women runners and I placed 3,522 among them, so about the middle.
Winners!!! And yes that's chocolate milk in my hand.
Post race meal of eggs benedict at Haven, so good. I also ate a biscuit with gravy and a piece of Hayley's amazing French toast (I'm sorry I asked for it rudely, Hay Hay).
Emily, Brittnye and I
My wonderful small group, sad this pic didn't turn out well.
After brunch I took a heavenly nap. All in all a pretty good Sunday :-)
Oh and I definitely had popcorn and gummy bears for dinner.
Molly, Rachel and Lauren - I missed you! Next year for sure. Who wants to do the full? ;-)
Oh and I definitely had popcorn and gummy bears for dinner.
Molly, Rachel and Lauren - I missed you! Next year for sure. Who wants to do the full? ;-)

5 comments:
Congrats! I'm still impressed.
Loved hearing about the impressions of the other runners and the fact that you blogged your playlist haha :)
Also, those eggs benedict look amaaaazing.
Wow--congrats! You did great--so proud of you.
I really enjoyed your photo-commentary of the event. I felt like I was right there with you--really liked the comments about the barefoot runner, and yes, I think the one-legged runner would definitely be considered hard core!
Congrats, Ashley!
btw - went to Haven for the first time the other night - delish!
I'm so proud! Was so bummed it didn't work out, but somehow convinced my sisters to run a 10k with me that morning, and then completed the half by myself. I figured what the heck...since I was trained and all. :) Heard you ran into Jenn F. though...so glad it worked out for her to use my bib! Miss you, friend!
Yay! Congratulations Ash! I don't understand how someone could run that far with no shoes!!! oh and nice playlist:)
Post a Comment