Tuesday, February 24

$ Saving Tips

Since officially living on my own for the first time here in Atlanta, I have made a budget for myself and try my best to spend my money wisely. So I thought that I would share some money saving tips I have developed with you. Why? 1. With the economy the way it is everyone should tighten their belt a little. 2. I love reading these kinds of articles in magazines. 3. Because I have so much valuable wisdom to share. Here you go!

-Lean Cuisines are a rip-off. They're like $4 each for a tiny portion of noodles. Go for Kashi or better yet make your meals and freeze them (something I'm determined to do).

-Instead of going out, have a wine and cheese party! (two of my favorite things in the world) I'm going to have one soon!

-For trendy items, Forever 21 and H&M are the BEST. And Nordstrom is a surprising source of cheap fun items. The other day I got some cute sunglasses for $10.00, a wallet for $14.00, and a long sleeved tee for $15.00.

-Why does Blockbuster still exist? You can rent newly released DVDs for $1.00 at McDonalds, Kroger, and Wal-Mart.

-In my perfect world, I would get a venti latte from Starbucks every morning and eat out every meal. But I obviously don't do that because of my wallet and I don't particularly want to be obese. So I've come to pick what's most important - a Starbucks OR a Jimmy John sandwich, not both. I've limited myself to one to two Starbucks a week (thanks Mom and Dad for the $25 gift card for V-Day) and a meal out once or twice a week.Or it just depends on what's going on week to week, like if a lots going on one week I won't eat out any the next.

-Become a celebrity so designers give you free stuff.

-Like wine and cheese parties, have brunch or dinners at someone's house as opposed to going to a restaurant. In college, the girls and I loved having sushi nights. We would each bring something and all the ingredients are so cheap. When I go to a sushi restaurant I usually spend at least $20. And a few weeks ago my small group girls had brunch at someone's house, SO much better than waiting for a table and being shoo'ed out after paying the bill.

-Take advantage of free trial passes to gyms. I got a free 7 day pass to the Buckhead YMCA. Just go to your local Y's website and there should be a pass you can print out. Tonight I am going to the free trial night at a boot camp class, should be interesting!

-At certain fast food places and restaurants, the kid's meals are ginormous. Whenever I eat at Moe's I get a kid's burrito, which is still huge and comes with chips and salsa and a drink, and it's only like $3.50, as opposed to the $7 regular burrito (and after you eat it feels like your stomach's filled with cement).

-GET CRAFTY!!! Michael's always has 40% off coupons in the paper.

-I try to only see movies in the theatre that I really want to see, like He's Just Not That Into You and Confessions of a Shopaholic! Both were worth every penny! (And going on two years since graduating I still bust out my college ID for the discount)

-I love the library!!! Who wants to pay $15-$30 for a book that you'll read once and then will just collect dusk on your bookshelf? Not me!

-We never actually did this, but my friend Rachel and I use to want to order just a coke at a bar, and then bring alcohol in little bottles and pour it in our drinks in the bathroom. Classy huh?

-I know this one's a "duh" one - Sharing clothes! Especially for going out clothes. How many times are you going to wear a trendy dress? Or you could buy this dress my coworker Katy just bought, you can wear it like 30 different ways!

-You don't even want to know how much money I've saved by having an US Weekly subscription for the past two years. Rachel and I used to make late night runs to Kroger and buy several magazines and doughnuts (in our pajamas).

-2 words: flea markets!!! In Versailles, KY there is a jewelry booth that has the most adorable and unique earings - all for $5 each!

-Start a blog! A free and fun pastime.

2 comments:

K_Streams_Her_C said...

1. I told you several times that you have to target the Lean Cuisines that have more than 10 ounces of food. Gah, Ashley. (cheese lasagna, meat lasagna, broccoli chicken alfredo, turkey and mashed potatoes, etc. — find 'em on sale for $2.46!)

2. You seem like the type that would sneak airplane bottles of liquor into a bar.

3. You're a copy cat. http://katystreamsherconsciousness.blogspot.com/2008/03/stretching-young-professionals-salary.html

4. Maybe (just maybe) you had some good, original ideas in your blog post.

Ashley said...

ok you wrote that post a year ago...about 6 months before i knew you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails